The Purpose Driven Life is a bible study book written by Christian pastor Rick Warren and published by Zondervan in 2002. The book offers readers a 40-day personal spiritual journey and presents what Warren says are God’s five purposes for human life on Earth.
he book is intended to be read as a daily inspiration, with each of the 40 short chapters read on consecutive days. Each chapter contains a personal application section at the end with a “point to ponder,” a verse to remember, and a question to consider over the course of that day. Rick Warren described his book as an “anti-self-help book.” The first sentence of the book reads, “It’s not about you,” and the remainder of the chapter goes on to explain how the quest for personal fulfillment, satisfaction, and meaning can only be found in understanding and doing what God placed you on Earth to do. The book’s 40 chapters are divided into six major sections, with the following titles:
- What on Earth Am I Here For?
- Purpose #1: You Were Planned for God’s Pleasure (Christian Worship)
- Purpose #2: You Were Formed for God’s Family (Christian Church)
- Purpose #3: You Were Created to Become Like Christ (Discipleship)
- Purpose #4: You Were Shaped for Serving God (Christian Ministry)
- Purpose #5: You Were Made for a Mission (Christian mission)
In later versions of the book, 2 additional chapters were added about the 2 biggest reasons why Christians don’t live purpose-driven lives, envy and “people-pleasing.”